Re: Vintage Racing Philosophy

To: vintage-race@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Vintage Racing Philosophy
From: Heather and Bill Putnam <hlputnam@students.wisc.edu>
Date: Mon, 12 Feb 1996 21:07:54 +0000
MHKitchen@aol.com wrote:
>... don't you agree that people are as much a part of vintage
> racing as the cars????
> Myles H. Kitchen
> MHKitchen@aol.com
> 1965 Lotus Cortina Mk1 #128

Myles,
>From my perspective, if it weren't for the people, I wouldn't be
vintage racing.  In the group I race in (pre-war under 1500 cc and
a few post war MG T types), the great attraction is the comraderie,
the shared stories, and the closeness of all involved.  Granted, we
don't go out to win at all costs (i.e. pulling questionable moves
is not appreciated) but rather go as fast as we can without bending
anything (or anyone) up.  Unfortunately, I never had the experience
of racing 40 or 50 years ago, as I am only 29.  But I like to think
that I am taking part in carrying on a tradition of "gentlemanly"
sport that is worth keeping.

Bill Putnam
V.S.C.D.A
1939 MG TB