Re: CSRG Rule Changes

To: JISBELLJR@mail.utexas.edu
Subject: Re: CSRG Rule Changes
From: Simon Favre <favres@engmail.ulinear.com>
Date: Wed, 06 Nov 1996 9:47:43 PST
I see your point, but in fact CSRG has NEVER had a place for these cars,
so there is no substantial change there.  Just as the transition from
front engine to mid engine was significant, the early wings-and-slicks
cars should also be considered significant.  One example I can point to
is a F1 car that regularly runs the Monterey Historics and other Steve
Earle events.  It is a Ferrari (I think) with wings and slicks, but it
has a cigar shaped body and a hole in the nose.  All the later cars in
that group have side pods and a closed nose.

By and large, the era that CSRG seems to re-create very well is the mid
50's to mid 60's.  This was sort of the heyday of sports racing in the
US.  There were lots of changes and lots of builders in those days.

> There is only one problem I see.  There is no place for the later FF, SV
> and FA.  From 1972 to 1980(perhaps) there are Formula cars that belong
> to the era of early aerodynamic and slick tire.  These are now old
> enough to be collectable and if no one provides a place for them they
> will be lost ot the junk yards.  By the time people realise that this is
> a group worth saving they will be gone.
>
>          JIM I.

Basically, the same was true of every race car from every era.  Ferrari
actually used to CRUSH old Grand Prix cars that were no longer
competitive.  It's a miracle some of the cars we now treasure actually
survived.