Re: A Series engine breathing

To: Gary <speckman@coredcs.com>
Subject: Re: A Series engine breathing
From: "Jack W. Drews" <vinttr4@FORBIN.COM>
Date: Wed, 06 Nov 1996 20:11:28 -0600
Here's an alternative means of venting the interior of the engine. I am
using this on my TR4 vintage racer engine as are two others in my circle
of friends. I make no claims for HP increase, etc since the only way
we'd know is by dyno measurements.

Basically the method is to vent it to the exhaust system. Weld a small
diameter - in my case 3/8" - tube into the collector pipe of the header
so it protrudes about halfway into the exhaust stream at at a 45 degree
angle. The end of this tube inside the header should be cut off also at
a 45 degree angle so that the opening is actually at a 90 degree angle
to the exhaust flow. To the end of the tube sticking out of the header,
braze a pipe fitting so you can screw onto it an anti-backfire valve
from a Chevy available from NAPA, for example. Then run a rubber hose
from a vent on the engine to the anti-backfire valve. On my engine, I
used the vent in the rocker cover.

In my area, circle track racers and tractor pullers use this technique.
They claim better ring sealing due to the slight vacuum pulled on the
engine interior due to the suction created by the flow of the exhaust
gas. They caution us to use the anti-backfire valve so in case of
backfire you don't blow the pan off, which has been done on Chevy V8's
On my car it worked successfully, yielding an almost leak-free engine,
no sign of performance deterioration, but no big boot in the pants
increase either.

I expect this approach to be rather controversial and will enjoy seeing
the responses to this one.

Jack W. Drews (A squealing tire is a happy tire - we Iowa guys know
about that squealing stuff)