Re: Clutch in, shift paradigm, clutch out.

To: Alfred Kobacker <alfred@ajkco.com>
Subject: Re: Clutch in, shift paradigm, clutch out.
From: Mike & Jaye Rosen <mra@sympatico.ca>
Date: Sun, 23 Nov 1997 10:57:06 -0500
Alfred Kobacker wrote:

> Because vintage racing differs from pro or SCCA amateur racing in that the
> cars run with more than one sanctioning group, and because the sanctioning
> groups are unlikely to adopt identical policies, what if the race groups
> (e.g. group 1,2,3,4,5 cars, etc.) formed individual, formal organizations
> which maintained a consistent set of standards, and to which everyone who
> wished to race in that group belonged.  Not unlike Monoposto, these groups
> could then, with considerable leverage, bring their shows to the various
> races, knowing that their rules and standards would be applied.
>
> Also like Monoposto, these clubs could conduct their own series, regardless
> of the sanctioning groups with which they run.
>
> I would think that the vintage sanctioning organizations would be very
> responsive to a group which represented hundreds of cars, and which could
> deliver a full grid at events it wishes to attend. It would, at the same
> time, relieve the sanctioning groups of a hell of a lot of work in
> determining and adjudicating eligibility.
>
> Of course, the concept suggests dual, triple, or quadruple membership
> scenaria, which is a drawback.  But I know that one group has already
> formed a loose organization of this nature, and HSR, for example, has been
> very receptive to their new, and relatively small, "cartel".
>
> Being new to vintage racing, I expect to hear that this has been tried,
> won't work, old idea without merit, etc.  But, thought I'd throw it out.
>
> -Alfred

When I was elected to the Board of Directors of VARAC about 10 years ago
I thought exactly the same thing ...still do but,
A. the organization exists - VMC
B. Although it's the best we have, it really doesn't work because no
Club, VARAC included, will change its rules (or philosophy) to match the
others.

To show this, take a common car type in Vintage Racing and see how you
could prep it the east/mid west say a 59 Bugeye Sprite for example: I've
ranked these in order of originality
1. VSCCA - (Club) excepts no cars post '59 but Sprites not eligible
anyway.
2. VARAC - (Club) Bug eye must be 948cc, L-section 13" tires or
equivalent, no Hoosiers, no Speedwell bonnets, no fibreglass etc. i.e. a
Sprite the way God intended them to be.
3. SVRA - (Business) well... the odd 1275 sneaks into a '59 bugeye, -
Hoosiers ok etc.
4. VSCDA - (Club) a certain green and yellow  '59 Speedwell that is 1
sec. slower than a 350GT and 2 sec. slower than a Brabham FB car around
Waterford hills says it all.
5. HSR - (Business)  - anything goes

I'm not going to open another can of worms by saying which of these is
right (but really #2 is...but I'm biased)

Now, the problem arises with; which one of these organizations would
budge - the membership of each would leave in droves if their rulebook
were radically changed in either direction, which is perfectly
understandable.
The problems arise when racers travel to other groups.
Guys with cars which really meet the rules (Brian Evan's 948cc Sprite
for example) travel knowing that although they're going to have fun
overall racing, they might not have anyone to race with because the
class competition really isn't in the same class.
On the other end, there's racers who think that we're a bunch of jerks
because we didn't like their car - after they travelled all that way -
even after reading the regs. sent out with the entry package which
stated the eligibility rules.

I agree completely that it would be fabulous to have a common set of
rules - but probably not in this lifetime, on this planet, or with the
current attitiude of many, many Vintage Racers... the faster the better,
originality be damned, I have to finish first regarless.
I guess that's more than 2 cents worth
Mike Rosen - 1958 VAY Canada Class Special