Data Logging

To: vintage race list <vintage-race@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Data Logging
From: "Jack W. Drews" <vinttr4@forbin.com>
Date: Tue, 14 Jul 1998 12:05:30 -0500
Please forgive lack of earlier response.

Here's what we use:

1. Calendar with birthdays marked -- now working towards #62

2. Wear markers in tire tread -- when you can see them you know that the
tires are good for only three more races

3. Wear markers on tires -- when you can see them all the way around you
know you're not breaking hard enough -- no flat spots

4. Tire pressures -- constant attempt to correlate pressures and
handling, measured in units of weight of fat pig

5. Color of inside of exhaust pipe -- bare metal means new pipe, some
kind of color means engine has been running, rust color means new pipe
needed

6. Liquid levels in various cavities indicating which seals have failed
vs. which ones are leaking normally

7. Exhaust Gas Temp -- why did I buy this thing anyway if all it tells
me is late timing puts hotter gas in the exhaust header?

8. Oil temp -- always off gage, evidence that heat is being generated

9. Stopwatch that sometimes doesn't work right, coincidently always on
the killer lap

10. Teletale expression on wife's face (owner of the stopwatch) varying
from "My Hero" to "what did you break this time"...also expression on
(co-driver) son's face which varying from "Ha! beat the old man again"
to "How the heck did he do that?"....

Serious data acquistion? Heck, I'm already not racing as well as I know
how -- I couldn't handle more proof of how mediocre I am....
--
uncle jack
TR4 Rallye Replica vintage racer