Re: Vintage Eligibility

To: simon@mondes.com, derek.lola@sympatico.ca
Subject: Re: Vintage Eligibility
From: JWoesvra@aol.com
Date: Mon, 7 Aug 2000 17:13:40 EDT
In a message dated 08/07/2000 4:52:16 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
simon@mondes.com writes:

<< a fairly well known lightweight Alfa Romeo Giulietta Spider Veloce.>><<had
its fenders flared, presumably for running in SCCA Production classes.  the
car dated from '58, but the flares dated from
 1970>><< the local vintage club made him go to great pains to de-flare
 the car. Was this right?>>

It was (right) if they had a cut-off date before 1970. If they allowed 1970
cars in another group, then I would think they might classify it with cars of
that era.  It is also reasonable that they didn't want early cars running in
later specification. Every organization has the authority to decide these
issues.

When ever a car is updated to later specification, it should be considered
with cars of its latest configuration.

<< It was also a plain Giulietta Spider Veloce originally, but it
 was completely cut up and rebodied to resemble a small sports racer, kind of
 like a 7/8 scale Can-Am car.>>

It would be a "modified" or "sports racer" depending again on the latest
configuration. Some organizations might not have a place for it.

 <<Is this distinction because former SCCA Production cars are considered
evil
 in some circles?

Perhaps, but almost all of us came in through that door. To reject everything
related to SCCA is the kind of irrational bias that set the groundwork for
some of the problems we are seeing in vintage racing today.

I'm sorry to be dominating the list so much lately, but I have only been
responding to some very timely questions. If I am out of line just tell be to
HUSH. That's what my wife does.

Jack Woehrle