Re: Why build when you can buy an old race car

To: MalcolmCox <malcox@napanet.net>
Subject: Re: Why build when you can buy an old race car
From: classic <classic@iaw.on.ca>
Date: Wed, 09 Aug 2000 08:20:39 -0400
--------------5E105783E1C2E5A73D7AC1A8

That may be true but if you search wisely, including viewing the
performance of the vehicle on the track, you shouldn't go too far wrong by
buying a ready built car. The problem with many people is that they buy on
impulse using their heart as a guide and then the have to spend the
additional money thatyou have written about.

In my profession I see this over and over. It is the same with all
specialty vehicles. Its cheaper to buy a finished car than to build from
scratch.

Jim

MalcolmCox wrote:

> Since I started racing almost 5 years ago, I have heard and given this
> familiar advice many times
> : its always cheaper to buy an old race car than to modify an old car
> into a race car.
>
> Then I started thinking about all the work I have done on my (raced
> since 66) MGA.
> Over the decades, it has had many owners, and a broad spectrum of
> ham-fisted manglers.
> For years now I have been trying to de-botch the car and I will never
> get it to be just the way I would like it.
>
> So, you may well be able to buy a car cheaper when ready made, but
> theres a good chance you will spend a lot money and time stripping out
> the stuff you dont like and re-engineering someone elses botched
> midnight engineering!
>
> Just a thought
> Malcolm, still mangled MGA

--------------5E105783E1C2E5A73D7AC1A8