Re: Tow Vehicle Shocks Question

To: MHKitchen@aol.com, vintage-race@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Tow Vehicle Shocks Question
From: Brian Evans <brian@uunet.ca>
Date: Wed, 9 Aug 2000 09:15:09 -0400
Miles, my experience with Tahoe's and Chev pickups is that the factory
shocks are good for about 5,000 miles before they limp out.  This was
followed (in my case) by 25,000 miles with a jouncy ride, and then
Monroe's, which firmed up the ride very well.  They lasted until I sold the
truck, in three cases, which added perhaps another 25,000 miles tops.

Brian

At 05:06 PM 08/08/2000 -0400, MHKitchen@aol.com wrote:
>Hey List...
>
>Looking for some input.  I still have my '96 Tahoe 4dr, 4X4 tow vehicle (just
>over 100K now), and it now needs its 4TH (!!!) set of shocks.  So far, I've
>used the stock Bilsteins, aftermarket gas-filled Gabriels, and aftermarket
>Bilsteins.  I'd have to say the Gabriels felt the best, but NONE of them
>lasted very long (30K max).  The rears seem to go away first.  Anybody have
>any recommendations of others I might try.  I'd like something stiffer that
>lasts longer.  After 15K or so, they all started getting mushy.  The
>aftermarket Bilsteins were recommended to me by several folks, but I didn't
>think they weren't any better than the stock ones.  This Tahoe has a stock
>suspension setup and stock wheels/tires with only the addition of AirLift
>bags at the back for towing.  Anybody have a Tahoe with experience to
>reommend something??
>
>Regards,
>Myles H. Kitchen
>1965 Lotus Cortina Mk1 #128