Re: Monterey Historics

To: LMR356@aol.com, vintage-race@autox.team.net, healeys@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Monterey Historics
From: JXLmail@aol.com
Date: Sun, 13 Aug 2000 18:44:20 EDT
Lee,

I'll take your and Gary's suggestion. Gary mentioned  the same location but
he didn't say anything about running back and forth. So if you see a guy with
a purple backpack on lying on his face on the hill that's me, stop by and say
hi and bring water.

The camera only has what is equal to a 50mm lense on a SLR (35MM) camera. I
useally have to get alittle closer to the action than folks with telephotos
(I keep hearing them yelling "hey you with the old camera your in the
picture, SIT DOWN"). So I hope a wide angle shot will look neat.
 I could bring my Nikon and the 80-200 zoom but 4 x 5 is a lot more fun. It
makes me think about the shot. I end up taking alot less shots than if I
brought my modern 35 MM but I get alot more keepers.
But it's a pain in the back to lug around. I'm glad that the temp is
predicted in the low 70s. It's not fun dragging that camera and tripod around
in hot temps.
Because it's so low tech and slow to setup people are very comfortable around
it. Sometimes you get places that you wouldn't be allowed just because
someone assumes that with a bellows camera "he must know what he's doing",
which I can assure use is at most correct 20% of the time.

Jim Latoff
56 BN2