Re: Monterey Historics

To: JXLmail@aol.com, Vintage Race <vintage-race@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Monterey Historics
From: Simon Favre <simon@mondes.com>
Date: Thu, 24 Aug 2000 11:33:34 -0700
I guess using a 4x5 camera WILL get you special treatment. Is it a
babe magnet, too? ;=)

You know, you used to be able to get 8x10 Polaroid film. How's that
for the worst possible quality in the largest possible format? The
camera bodies were usually special purpose ones attached to
microscopes or oscilloscopes. Just to make matters worse, I overheard
somebody (obviously with more money than brains) ask about getting a
Polaroid back for a Hasselblad! The horror... the horror...

On some of my photographic expeditions to Monterey, I haul around a
500mm long-lens telephoto. I camp out on the hillside above turn 2.
All the cars have to funnel through that area. I can get them on
approach, and broadside in the turn. With a 500mm, I can get one car
to fill the 35mm frame in the middle of the turn. Unfortunately, with
a minimum of f8 on the 500mm, I have to use fast film, which is more
grainy. There are some examples on the team.net FTP server.

Here's a few example links:

 ftp://ftp.team.net/vintage/Images/vrgrp03.jpg
 ftp://ftp.team.net/vintage/Images/vrgrp04.jpg
 ftp://ftp.team.net/italian/Images/tz1-02.jpg