Re: IN RE: Mechanical Failures

To: WSpohn4@aol.com, S800Racer@aol.com, brian@uunet.ca,
Subject: Re: IN RE: Mechanical Failures
From: JWoesvra@aol.com
Date: Fri, 1 Dec 2000 13:26:20 EST
In a message dated 12/01/2000 1:01:12 PM Eastern Standard Time,
WSpohn4@aol.com writes:

<< You have actual race cars out
 there with long racing histories that started after the "appropriate period".

 My MGA, for instance, was turned into a race car by me in 1973. It was at
 that point about as old as my daily driver 1988 Fiero is today. For many
 years I was the only MGA racing in Canada (when I took it to the Canadian
 run-offs one year, they were astounded to see it). >>

Bill,

This question is really very simple to answer and I know I risk offending
you. For that I am truly sorry.

The latest "period" specification defines your car. In 2000, we still have
MGA's, MGB's, Porsche 356's, Lotus 7's & Mk I Sprites racing in the SCCA
production category. Many of these have been race cars since they were new.
However, for all practical purposes, they are 2000 model cars in the eyes of
the rules.

In your case, you might argue that your MGA is legally prepared to 1979 CASC
regulations. That means, as a vintage car, it should be grouped with its
racing contemporaries. That would be Porsche 914, 912, 911, Fiat X 1/9, TR7,
Jensen Healey, and of course earlier cars prepared to 1979 specs.

Most vintage organizations do not have an eligibility period that covers the
period after 1972. If they do, it is generally a melting pot of post-1972 GT
cars. That includes a lot of very fast machinery (IMSA GTU/GTO, Trans-Am,
etc) that your car would not be compatible with.

Who knows when and if there will be a suitable group for you. There is no
shortage of MGA's prepared to earlier specifications so promoters won't be
interested in your car. It is important to you, but sadly few others.

Jack Woehrle