Re: IN RE: Mechanical Failures

To: racecar@baltimoreknife.com, vintage-race@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: IN RE: Mechanical Failures
From: JWoesvra@aol.com
Date: Fri, 1 Dec 2000 14:02:00 EST
In a message dated 12/01/2000 1:26:01 PM Eastern Standard Time,
racecar@baltimoreknife.com writes:

 <<TR3 that has a Judson supercharger on it (assuming anyone is crazy enough
 to want to race it that way) >>

<<  I have a friend in my area who still has his TR-3 racecar that he last
raced with a Judson(until 68). as well as a tr-4 racer with a judson.  I
would be interested to hear why you think no-one would race one that way.  I
have always assumed a fair power
 increase, would it be avoided because of a class change?>>

Production car rules did not allow superchargers. Any car could technically
race with un-authorized modifications in the Sports Racer or before 1965,
Modified category. These cars were classed according to displacement.
Supercharged cars received a 1.4 factor for displacement purposes. A TR4 with
2138cc x 1.4 would be assumed to have 2993cc.

 In 1964 that would D Modified (2.0-3.0L), that's Lotus 19, 250 Ferrari,
Cooper Monaco territory.

By 1966, anything over 2.0L would be in A-Sports Racer. Can you say Lola T70,
McLaren, McKee, Chaparral?

A sidebar to this is that very few people were able to make a Judson actually
produce enough useful extra horsepower to make a difference. They are an
interesting curiosity at best, and look neat on a street or show car.

Jack Woehrle