Re: Summit Point Zoning Woes

To: "Jack W. Drews" <vinttr4@geneseo.net>,
Subject: Re: Summit Point Zoning Woes
From: "Bryan Appleby" <bappleby@concentric.net>
Date: Wed, 6 Dec 2000 07:56:48 -0700
The group is calling themselves Citizens Against Raceway Expansion
(C.A.R.E.)  Under their proposals use of the track would be restricted to
9am - 5pm on Mondays-Saturdays and from noon-5pm on Sundays. Noise levels
would be restricted to 65db.

I will never figure out how someone can move in next to a race track, and
THEN complain about the noise.  If the track was there first, it has
seniority, and if they don't like the noise, I'll be happy to sell them
earplugs.

Here in the Midwest, there are fairly frequent problems with subdivisions
springing up within smelling distance of farms that have been in families
for over 100 years. People are funny.

People are funny, yes.  People marry each other and think they can change
things after they marry them.  We live in a country that is based on a
Democracy (except for Florida).  So what is best for everyone, is way things
are governed.  Unfortunately, it is based on who WHINES the loudest.  We
have something that is call NIMBY.  Meaning, "not in my back yard."  Even
when Lime Rock Park was built, in the early 50's, there were restrictions
mandated even back then.

The scary thing is we are governed by human nature.  Look at this list, we
get into endless discussion on the negative issues, but refrain from
spending time on positive issues.  (hope I don't have anyone flame me)
Human nature is the same.

People are very organized now a days.  The groups that can do damage, to our
race tracks, and cause restrictions that tend to be more organized than
those that enjoy these tracks.  Lets look at it from a geographic view
point.  When hearings are held for considerations for restrictions on
tracks, the constituents that can show up in large visible numbers are the
residents.  Rather than racers and enthusiasts that live from far flung
places.  Boards are seriously swayed (I am an elected official too) by the
turn out of these people.  They tend to be well organized and have phone
trees to notify people of upcoming legislation.

This is where we as racers can become more organized, by lists like this.
Letter writing from all of us (this is how Star Trek was saved from being
permanently cancelled in the 60's) and assisting each other in different
parts of the country.  There is currently action occuring at restricting
activities at Laguna Seca and Sears Point too.  If the "majority" of the
population changes over the years from earlier supporting a race track, to a
more an effluent population that dosen't want the noise, traffic and
intrustions in life.  Tracks can and will be closed by your public
officials.  Organize, don't treat these affronts lightly!  These idiots
complain about the train tracks behind their house.  They just bought this
house and didn't know there would actually have TRAINS going down them are
real! (Actually happened in Niwot, Colorado and article was reported by the
Associated Press about 3 years ago)

These complainers are vocal, they are increasing in numbers.  But so is the
racing population, but some of them don't want it in their back yard either.

Bryan