Re: Summit Point Zoning Woes

To: Mactds@aol.com, vintage-race@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Summit Point Zoning Woes
From: LMR356@aol.com
Date: Wed, 6 Dec 2000 10:57:03 EST
In a message dated 12/5/00 9:11:34 PM Eastern Standard Time, Mactds@aol.com
writes:

> Apparently our fellow racer & track
> owner, Bill Scott, is coming up against a local group who wish to limit his
> activities at the track.
>
> The group is calling themselves Citizens Against Raceway Expansion
> (C.A.R.E.)
> Under their proposals use of the track would be restricted to 9am - 5pm on
> Mondays-Saturdays and from noon-5pm on Sundays. Noise levels would be
> restricted to 65db. They are also looking at restricting the anit terrorist
> school activities.
>
> This is most disappointing news. This is exactly how we lost Bridgehampton!
>
> Regards,
> Maura MacEachern
>

> Interestingly...as we have all driven up to SP from the
Baltimore/Washington area agzillion times over the past 15 years....it is
evident that the local Charlestown/Summit Point landscape in now becoming
dotted with new homes and developments.  Many families have opted to move to
West Virginia from  costlier border states of DC, Maryland and Virginia....in
pursuit of the American dream...an acre of land ( lots of grass to cut) and a
better school district for their kids.

New upper middle income developments with neighborhood associations have
become powerful forums in recent years...and no doubt this is a mirror image
of what other racing venues have experienced over the past decades often
leading to their demise....Marlboro... Meadowdale..... Vineland.....
Riverside..... Bridghampton....

Having said that....Summit Point Raceway has been around since 1969..as a
viable business....employing local residents...providing revenue to Jefferson
County and most importantly.....attracting tens of thousands of participants
and spectators ...who have reinforced the local economy through their
spending dollars.  What is important here is that "racing" is a form of
"tourism"...and in most situations....tourism is a great economic locomotive
( racecar)  that local and state municipalities recognize as being enduringly
productive.

Aside from the Summit Point facility...It should also be mentioned that
Barbara Scott has an extremely successful apple orchard and distribution
plant next to the track...which likely becomes one of the most viable
commercial entities in the entire community....besides the slot machines at
the Charlestown Race Track.

Bill and Barbara have always been supportive of the community's needs and
concerns...and no doubt ... through legal representation they will be able to
work out a compromise to the C.A.R.E. demands.   Perhaps we should take a cue
from SP Raceway /BSR as to the exact tact to follow regarding any specific
support they might request from our motorsport organizations/clubs and their
respective membership.

So....Are you listening Bill and Barbara Scott?  We're all here for you!

Lee Raskin
Brooklandville, MD
Arnolt-B and 356ers