Re: Helmets

To: "Charles Christ" <cfchrist@earthlink.net>, <WSpohn4@aol.com>,
Subject: Re: Helmets
From: "Ron Yates" <dipstickdigest@ctaz.com>
Date: Wed, 28 Feb 2001 13:06:56 -0700
    For you trivia experts the first Snell approved helmets were first used
at the 1957 Arcata (California) race, site of Pete Snells death the previous
year. Dr. George Snively, one of the founding father's of the Snell
Foundation, and designer of the testing standards to be used to determine
what was an acceptable and safe helmet was himself a long time racer with
the San Francisco region of the SCCA. His initial published results were met
with less than enthusiastic response. In one periodical of the time his
results were largely pooh-pooed by none other than Ken Miles, who was less
than kind in his review of Dr. Snively's findings.
    Ironically the man who organized the first race in '56, Lou Brero, and
laid the foundation for the second race. Labor day weekend in '57, died from
burns suffered in a race in Hawaii in April.

Ron Yates, Editor
The Dipstick Digest
Newsletter of the world's smallest Austin Healey club