RE: Helmets

To: Tombread@aol.com, dipstickdigest@ctaz.com, cfchrist@earthlink.net,
Subject: RE: Helmets
From: "Oker, William" <OkerWR@navair.navy.mil>
Date: Wed, 28 Feb 2001 14:13:32 -0800
Tom,

I'm sure you're right regarding the resistance to the anything "required"
escalation. In the '57 to '59 time frame, when my Dad was driving cars like
Joe Lubins's Aston Martin DB3S and DBR2 and Frank Arciero's 4.9 liter
Ferrari (no roll bars) at places like Riverside, Pomona, Santa
Barbara...etc..he wore some pants that my Mom made for him that were
gathered at the bottom with elastic and tied at the waist like sweat pants.
She soaked them in something that was supposed to make them fire resistant.
He usually wore a light long sleeve sweatshirt again soaked in fire
retardent solution. He used light wieght leather gloves that were intended
for use in archery and for racing shoes....he wore genuine Indian moccasins!

Bill Oker