Re: Helmets

To: OkerWR@navair.navy.mil, dipstickdigest@ctaz.com, cfchrist@earthlink.net,
Subject: Re: Helmets
From: Tombread@aol.com
Date: Wed, 28 Feb 2001 16:35:10 EST
In a message dated 2/28/01 4:17:28 PM US Eastern Standard Time,
OkerWR@navair.navy.mil writes:

> I really don't know why, but there was a lot of skepticism, if not out and
> out disdain, regarding the Snell Foundation rating thing in the late '50's.

Probably inbred resistance to anything "required."  We got bent out of shape
over spec rollbars (jeez, my first one was fastened aft to the sheet metal
rear deck and was level with my head!)...five-point harnesses...outlawed
Monza caps...fuel cells (it's only a 4 gallon race!)...double layer Nomex or
single layer and underwear...no more leather gloves or shoes...and on and on.
 All the requirements and allowances made club racing exponentially expensive
in the 70s.
tom

The Easley Vintage Grand Prix
IRP, October 6-7, 2001
Proceeds to the American Red Cross of Greater Indianapolis

Tom Butters
The Greens Fork Group
Creative communications
765.886.5098
No City in the history of racing has ever hosted the four greatest events of
their kind,
as we do here with the Indianapolis 500, the US Grand Prix, the Brickyard 400
and the NHRA US Nationals.