RE: Helmets

To: Ron Yates <dipstickdigest@ctaz.com>,
Subject: RE: Helmets
From: "Oker, William" <OkerWR@navair.navy.mil>
Date: Wed, 28 Feb 2001 13:13:47 -0800
Hi Ron,

I really don't know why, but there was a lot of skepticism, if not out and
out disdain, regarding the Snell Foundation rating thing in the late '50's.
My father, Bob Oker, who I know you remember (thanks again for the neat
pictures of the Bristol!) refused to use any helmet with a Snell rating. He
absolutely would not think of using a Bell helmet for any purpose. This goes
clear up into the late '60's and early '70's when we raced motorcycles in
the desert. He had a helmet made for him in about '57 by a guy named McCall,
if I remember right. He had it equipped with a clear plastic shield so he
could wear his glasses. Most drivers back then were still using goggles. He
continued to use this helmet, after finally giving up the race track,
through the '80's when riding his street bikes too! (oh yes, my Mom still
has it!)

BTW, I'm a SOLO 2 guy (and wanna be vintage racer) and I use a Bell.

Bill Oker