RE: Helmets

To: "'vintage-race@autox.team.net '" <vintage-race@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Helmets
From: Jim Hill <Jim_Hill@chsra.wisc.edu>
Date: Thu, 1 Mar 2001 00:34:54 -0600
Larry Dent wrote:

>I was racing in the early 60's when the
>shoulder harness came into being.  Can't
>tell you the number of guys that were
>pissed off cause some "official" wanted
>him to put in a shoulder harness . . .

Part of the reluctance may well have been independence or just plain
stubbornness, but when the sixties began there was still a fear of being
trapped in a burning car, roll bars were often afterthoughts, and Masten
Gregory was still jumping out of about-to-crash racing cars.

Unfortunately I saw the results of more than one accident involving unbelted
drivers.

jim hill