Re: Period correct - definition

To: pat@prismacars.com, mcobine@earthlink.net, vintage-race@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Period correct - definition
From: JWoesvra@aol.com
Date: Wed, 4 Apr 2001 11:36:00 EDT
In a message dated 04/04/2001 10:11:41 AM Eastern Daylight Time,

<< Subj:     RE: Period correct - definition
 Date:  04/04/2001 10:11:41 AM Eastern Daylight Time
 From:  pat@prismacars.com (Pat Ryan)
 Sender:    owner-vintage-race@autox.team.net
 To:    mcobine@earthlink.net (Mike Cobine), vintage-race@autox.team.net

Pat is mostly correct but there are a few things that have evolved since 1990
when what he says was the case.

<< SVRA only requires period race history in Group 6 and later cars in Group
8.>>

Group 6 requires pre-1973 racing history. There is no longer a period history
requirement in Group 8.

<< SVRA requires in Group Six that cars be built to year of manufacture specs
per that year's SCCA GCR (T/A and FIA
 history cars get Y of M plus one year).>>

Group 6 cars are each listed on one page Supplemental Regulations. 1963-67
Corvettes are on one sheet. Therefore, all of these may be updated to 1967
specs. All XKEs can update to 1967 specs, etc. All production based cars in
any group may update or backdate within the period a particular body style
was produced as long as a time line is not crossed. For instance, we expect
all MGBs to be prepared to 1967 specs. You could take a 1979 MGB and backdate
it to 1967.

<<Most production cars now run with
 "year of manufacture" engine displacement.>>

Not really correct. See update and backdate rule. In fact, Pat has a 1965
Spitfire that has a 1296 engine. We all know that this engine was not
produced until 1968, don't we?

 <<SVRA Formula car and Sports Racing groups have no race history requirement
 or check, it being a fairly safe assumption that they were raced. >>

Purpose built race cars are assumed by design to be eligible, even in the
rare case where one was built and not raced.

<< Many of
 these cars race with larger than period engines.>>

There are exceptions, but most have correct engines or a good reason not to.
YBMs in 2L sports cars come to mind.

<< In Group Six, your very question was the heart of much debate in 1990.
This
 was resolved by a survey that showed 85% wanted "Year of Manufacture" rules
 and 15% wanted "last year raced" or formulized rules based on 1972.  This
 survey led to a ballot, hence the Group 6 rules were adopted by the drivers
 themselves.  Quite unusual in vintage racing circles.  The Group 6 rules are
 also unique in that they emphasize that the enforcement is incumbent on the
 drivers themselves.

 The one thing that all these Eastern based groups have in common is FUN.>>

All this is true and Pat was instrumental in bringing this about. We are not
perfect by any means. We have our critics. Most of our people have FUN and
know we are reasonable in our enforcement.

Jack Woehrle
SVRA Technical Director