Re: Period correct - definition

To: <JWoesvra@aol.com>
Subject: Re: Period correct - definition
From: "craig bielat" <thickosehaskel@email.msn.com>
Date: Wed, 4 Apr 2001 18:53:10 -0500
----- Original Message -----
From: <JWoesvra@aol.com>
To: <356drb@indy.net>; <carlynneracing@home.com>; <pat@prismacars.com>;
<mcobine@earthlink.net>; <vintage-race@autox.team.net>
Sent: Wednesday, April 04, 2001 12:54 PM

> NO, NO Brett!! All that would happen is I MIGHT move you up a class in
Group
> 1. Have you ever discussed this with me? Or are you just working off of
> rumors?
>
> Jack Woehrle

    All these rules and for what! They are only enforced if you are way too
fast. For example: ( Sorry Jack, have to use SVRA for an example, although
it happens in all clubs) SVRA Road America some seasons back, Group 1 had an
Alfa Giulietta Sprint with a 1750 or larger engine in it. My Alfa buddies
saw it and reported it to SVRA Tech. The head sits a good 1 1/2" above the
water pump from a 1300, obvious and easy to spot at a glance. Tech looked
over the cars and reported back to us that the car was not fast enough, soon
reclass or regrouping. The driver went on to win his class over all the
other 1300cc Alfa's and win his little trophy. I just shook my head.
    On the plus side for SVRA, the same thing happened at Heartland Park, a
few seasons before this,( has it been 11 years?). But the difference was
that the over engined Alfa Giulietta Spider was 10 seconds faster than all
other Group 1 cars in first practice! Needless to say, my Alfa buddies saw
the engine, reported it, and the offender was moved up to Group 3. So my
conclusion is don't go real fast and you won't draw attention or if you do ,
no action taken.
    This is not just a problem in SVRA at all it's everywhere! Some people
have to win, at all cost! Others, like Brett, whom I've had the pleasure
many times to race with, like to keep their cars as original as possible,
and have a good time. I did, after soldering on for 15 seasons with my Lotus
Elite, finally putting Hiem joints on the rear trailing arms, to correct the
rear wheel alignment. It was so far out that the car had always had a hard
time turning left. If I run with SVRA at R.A. this year will I be reclassed?
Probably not I don't go fast enough, but I do have the best time!

                Craig Bielat Lotus Elite #39