Re: Period correct - definition

To: Carl McLelland <carlynneracing@home.com>, Pat Ryan
Subject: Re: Period correct - definition
From: Brett Johnson <356drb@indy.net>
Date: Wed, 04 Apr 2001 12:39:04 -0800
on 4/4/01 8:36 AM, Carl McLelland at carlynneracing@home.com wrote:

> Defining "Period Correctness"; now there's a non-volitile subject!
>
> just as Zenith 32NDIX carburetors were 'OEM' on
> Porsches beginning in 1958. Does this mean that a pre-58 Porsche
> cannot use Zenith carbs? Obviously not. The Zenith's became 'OEM' on
> the 356'A' series cars, thus should be allowed on all 356'A' series
> racers.

Gee, this group really beats up on us 356 folks.  By the SVRA rules my Group
1 (or is that Group A?) 1300 cc 1951 356 must run a pair of fine one bbl.
Solex 40 PBIC/PCIBs.  Really neat carburetors -- no floats available --
original brass ones can sink and set your car on fire.  I can put Zeniths or
Solex 40 PII-4s on, but it puts me in the same class and race group (Group
3) with the real 356s.

> To go one step further, however, disk brakes were not
> installed on Porsches until the 356'C' series cars, beginning in model
> year 1964. Should these same brakes be allowed on the earlier cars?
> That's a decision for the owner/driver of the car and the club he
> races with. I say "no", but that's my decision. If you are racing a
> pre-64 Porsche then it's YOUR decision.......

Same thing, If you elect to install discs on a pre-356C non-disc car, it
changes your classification and again in my case with certain sanctioning
bodies, it changes my race group.  Trouble is, the public, Speedvision and
apparently this group to a lesser degree, only pay attention to the cars at
the front of the field, not the classes within the race group.  This tends
to make 356 people upgrade, as would others if they were in the same
situation.  One of the advantages of having a car that was produced from
1950 - 1965 in roughly the same configuration.

Personally, I have more fun running mid-pack with the small bore crowd, than
being lumped in with 150mph cars.  Hope to last more than a day at VIR later
this month!  Please feel free to stop by and tell me about the superiority
of British and Italian cars.  Doug -- don't even think about it.

Brett Johnson