Re: Engine Trivia

To: Vintage Race <vintage-race@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Engine Trivia
From: Simon Favre <simon@mondes.com>
Date: Thu, 05 Apr 2001 08:58:25 -0700
Of course there are examples of a race engine going into a street car. The
one that might be of most interest to vintage buffs is the Fiat/Ferrari
Dino. The entire car was produced just so the motor could qualify to be
put in a Ferrari F2 race car. Ferrari didn't have the capacity to build
500 units a year (even with typical Italian serial number hijinks), so
Fiat was engaged to build more cars, just to satisfy the FIA that the motor
came out of a "street" car when it had been designed for racing all along.

There has been considerable discussion on the Alfa Digest in past years
about the Montreal. The consensus was that the V8 in the Montreal was not
really a detuned version of the T33 race motor. The Stradale model is the
only one that can really make that claim. They were not really intended
to be raced, although some have. The T33 motor in the Stradale is
basically the same as the one used at Le Mans. Ever seen the film "Le Mans"?
There's a T-33/3 in the hunt right behind the Ferrari/Porsche duel. It
actually came in 4th overall in the 1972 race, AHEAD of all the Ferraris.

In the American Pig Iron category, there are plenty of examples of high
performance "options" being on the price list just so the company could
build race cars with those options.