RE: Engine Trivia

To: PaceCars@aol.com
Subject: RE: Engine Trivia
From: Mike.Savin@nokia.com
Date: Thu, 5 Apr 2001 13:05:11 -0500
This is an interesting question.  I am sure that if you look back in
automotive history say from early 1900s on, there must be a number
of examples of engines originally developed for racing purposes,
later installed in street vehicles.

        An example comes to mind, although I do not know for
sure that this qualifies:

Weren't the Dusenberg engines/cars originally develped for racing?
Were the Dusenberg engines as adapted to autos identical, or
near identical to the racing engines?

Fiat developed early supercharged cars.  Did Fiat produce any
street vehicles with racing engines installed?  How about the 1914
Puegot  -- very advanced engine:  hemi-head, dohc.  Did this engine
get installed in street machinery?

I'm sure if you look, some of the racing engine knowledge was used in WWI
aircraft.

     --- Mike Savin