RE: Engine Trivia

To: sarl45@hotmail.com
Subject: RE: Engine Trivia
From: Mike.Savin@nokia.com
Date: Thu, 5 Apr 2001 18:56:48 -0500
Gentlemen:

        As a mechanical engineer, and an engine designer
myself, It seems to me that a good transportable, light-weight
efficient engine would not necessarily be different in design
from an engine designed to power a racing car.

        All the industrial engines I've seen done in the US, I
feel have had cost and reliability as the number one consideration.
There have certainly been many rugged engines built here, but
with relatively low power output compared to displacement and
heavy construction.

        What parameters did the government specify when asking
for a fire pump engine?  (and, perhaps, the person in charge of
specifications wanted a racing engine for his special?)

        I'll have to tell you, though, if I was given the job today, I
would design a 2-stroke-cycle engine to accomplish the task.
(In fact, I've recently designed a new, unusual two-stroke
4 cylinder engine that with some modification, would perform
well either as a racing engine or a generator powerplant, for
example.

    -- Mike Savin

PS:  My credentials are, among others includes: Designed steam engines
for automobiles, buses, many experimental and production engines
for McCulloch corp.,  had my own company producing speed equipment
for kart and motorcycle racing.  Have designed, built and ran two
unusual experimental engines on karts.  One engine I built won an IKF
National Championship (1975).  Helped develop the turbocharger
systems for the Buick V6 and Mercedes 300SD autos while doing
some work for AiResearch.