Re: Engine Trivia

To: "Elton Clark" <lotus.tony@airmail.net>, <vintage-race@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Engine Trivia
From: Brian Evans <brian@uunet.ca>
Date: Thu, 5 Apr 2001 14:18:23 -0400
I thought the rules were that the engine had to have seen the first light
of day, in any form related to basic design of the block, etc, in a racing
car, then get used for mundane applications...Coventry Climax may have had
a few engines that were purely racing designs, but not the "firepump" models...

My Martin engine used only the block, and some minor things like
lifters,  from the Ford 109E engine, but it's still a Ford based engine.

At 01:49 PM 4/5/01 -0400, Elton Clark wrote:
>Race engines adapted to Road cars:
>
>Harold Pace moots:
>
>  << How about the Lotus Elite and its Coventry Climax engine? >>
>
>Myles Kitchen corrects:
>
> > The Climax engine was originally designed for pumping equipment
>(irrigation
> > and fire pumpers) and was "borrowed" by Colin Chapman for his race cars.
>
>Methinks sportscar guru Harold Pace set Miles up on this one:  It's widely
>understood that the racing enthusiast designers at Coventry-Climax took
>advantage of a government development contract for the mundane fire pump to
>design a seriously dedicated basic race engine.
>
>Tony_______________________@Sherman.Texas
>Lotus Eleven, Lotus Elite, Bearcat 85

Brian Evans
Director, Canada