Re: Engine Trivia

To: Mike.Savin@nokia.com
Subject: Re: Engine Trivia
From: Simon Favre <simon@mondes.com>
Date: Thu, 05 Apr 2001 20:21:17 -0700
Mike,

Pretty impressive credentials. Recalling the history from that
article I mentioned, the specs included several things, and there
would have to be some not reported in the article. Since it had
to be carried by 2 soldiers, small and light would be a priority.
I can't remember the GPH specified for the pump, but that would
have put a minimum requirement for horsepower from the motor.
Since it had to run unattended for 24 hours, low fuel consumption
would also have been important. They probably also specified that
it run on pump gas, ruling out a 2-stroke, since back then, you
always had to mix the oil and gas first. Coventry settled on the
all-Aluminum SOHC configuration as being optimal. A stationary
engine like this one probably did not need torque over a wide
range of RPMs. It was probably tuned for efficiency and reliability
rather than max performance. I don't know all the mods one would
have to do to a fire pump motor to make it a race car motor. The
article indicated that it was usually cheaper to rebuild a motor
that was originally built by Coventry as a race motor than try to
do the conversion from a fire pump as was done to the first ones.
The fire pumps were mounted in a tube steel frame that does look
suspiciously like a roll cage, but I'm sure that's coincidence.
That's how the soldiers carried it around, by the frame.

Simon