Re: Engine limits?

To: Mike Cobine <mcobine@earthlink.net>
Subject: Re: Engine limits?
From: Mark Haynes <haynes386@netzero.net>
Date: Sun, 15 Apr 2001 12:09:28 -0600
Mike- Yes you're misreading this, the flow restrictors are IN the crank, keeping
the oil from being slung out of the rod journals at high RPM, and thus leaving
the mains dry.

Mike Cobine wrote:

> I hope I'm misreading this, but it sounds like you have oil restrictors in
> the pasages to the crank.  I hope not, although I know nothing about these
> engines.
>
> With the SBC, we ran solid lifters and oil restrictors in the lifter galleys
> so that oil was concentrated on the lower end.  In most SBC, we ran .0025"
> clearance and 60 psi with a high volume pump.  With the 302, we were running
> 8500 and so .004" clearance with 85 psi from a high volume pump.  With full
> floating rods, you need a lot of oil to float the pins and you don't do that
> by restricting crank oil.
>
> > all of the go-fast period parts. When I build it, How do I establish how
> > high to rev it?(and not blow it). I can't find anyone who used to race
> > them who remembers what they used for an upper limit. I know that the
> > 1275s have a tendancy to snap cranks,and I really don't want to do this
> > either.
> >     I'm planning on putting it in my '62 Sprite, I know the 1275s will
> > eat me up,but $#%@ happens
> >
> > TIA, Mark Haynes
> > RMVR
>
> Put it together, run it 500 rpm over stock, take it apart.  If anything
> shows anything bad from above, then that _IS_ your limit.  If not, then go
> up another 500, run it, then take it apart.  Check again for the bad stuff.
> Once you find bad stuff, back up 500 and that is the top.
>
> Don't reuse old bearings.  You pull them out to check them, replace them.

Thanks, It's time consuming, but if I really want to find it's useful top end,
this sounds like a good approach.
Mark

> This is all general stuff, your mileage may vary.

UNDOUBTABLY!!