Re: Monterey problems

To: Brian Mertz <bmertz@home.com>
Subject: Re: Monterey problems
From: Paul Fitzsimmons <fitzsmns@mwci.net>
Date: Tue, 18 Sep 2001 16:37:27 -0500
I believe there might be another side to the story of RA "grabbing" the Chicago
Historics, but since what I heard was from a variety of sources and not direct,
will not state what I believe to be the situation, but suggest you investigate
further.
I am a board member of VSCDA, the current sanctioning body for the BRIC.
Fitz

Brian Mertz wrote:

> Remember what Road America did a few years back, grabbing the Chicago
>Historics
> (now known as the Brian Redman International Challenge on that prime July
> weekend) from the independent promoter who created that event?  It was a very
> unpopular move at the time, but the event has survived and prospered in the
> years since under VSCDA sanction and rules.  Would sanctioning and operation
>of
> the Monterey weekend by a respected group such as CSRG really "destroy" the
> event?
>
> Back in Wisconsin, RA has reinvested some of its increased revenue in a
>greatly
> improved facility for spectators and participants alike.  Much as I admire,
> appreciate and sympathize with the enthusiast-promoters who kept the spark
> alive for decades while American road racing events and venues were going
>dark,
> unless the tracks can now share some of the wealth generated by a relative
> handful of very popular spectator events, they will not survive to nurture us
> in the years to come.
>
> Could any promoter these days negotiate a deal at any track as favorable as
>the
> one General Racing has enjoyed at Laguna Seca?  It would be interesting to
>know
> how the proposed terms compare with those for other major races.  Are they
> wholly out of line?  How will this affect SCRAMP and the charitable
> organizations it supports?
>
> There's some sad irony in the prospect of vintage racing's premier event
> returning to the flat, featureless expanses of military runways where it
> flowered generations ago.  If only Coronado were a SAC base, the circle would
> be complete....
>
> Brian Mertz
>
> PaceCars@aol.com wrote:
>
> > Sounds like a pack of thieves out to steal someone else's hard work. What
> > would car selection be based on? Highest bid? Favorite color? All it would
> > take is a boycott to stop that bullshit dead in its tracks....so long as no
> > other vintage group agrees to take it over. This could be a real test of the
> > VMC and the vintage community in general. If they can destroy the Historics,
> > no group is safe.
> > Harold Pace
> >
> > In a message dated 9/18/01 10:53:46 AM, cwright@pdghightower.com writes:
> >
> > << There was an article in AutoWeek last week about the problem. Apparently
> > Laguna
> > Seca, ala Mazda Raceway, wants to raise the rent 40% and get 1/2 the
> > profits. If
> > Earl doesn't agree, they will put it on themselves and get all of the
> > profits.
> > Seems unfair to me. Steve took all of the risks for years to build a
> > successful
> > program and they just want to confiscate it.

> [...]

///