Re: Monterey problems

To: bmertz@home.com, vintage-race@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Monterey problems
From: MHKitchen@aol.com
Date: Tue, 18 Sep 2001 23:02:22 EDT
In a message dated 9/18/2001 1:40:15 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
bmertz@home.com writes:

<< Would sanctioning and operation of
 the Monterey weekend by a respected group such as CSRG really "destroy" the
 event? >>

Fellow Listers:

I just received my Autoweek today and saw the article mentioned.  While I'm
still quite depressed by the events of last week, this did cause the corners
of my mouth to turn up slightly.

As many of you know, I am not fond of Mr. Earle.  Those who know me accuse it
of being sour grapes, which is certainly partially true (How many of us LIKE
being treated unfairly, and rudely?).  But, since I've gone public with my
distain for the Monterey Historics, I've found MANY other racers who have
confided to me their own reasons for disliking Mr. Earle and his event.
While it has become the defacto "MECCA" of Historic Racing, there are
numerous chinks in the armor, and perhaps it is time for a change.  I, for
one, would welcome such a major change at Monterey.  It couldn't have happend
to a more deserving guy (AND his deserving wife).

Nothing would be more ironically satisfying to me, than to see someone like
CSRG, or some other more democratic organization take over the event.  At
least, it might be operated fairly, and the racers treated more equally
(13/13, Stirling).  And, as many of you west coasters know, the accessibility
of Laguna Seca (or the Mazda Raceway at Laguna Seca) might be opened up for
other vintage organizations's events.  Other than the SCCA event in the fall,
other groups have not been able to secure desireable dates there, due in some
degree to Mr. Earle's relationship with track management.  CSRG has tried and
failed, with the only date available a rain-soaked winter venue.

Steve has made a lot of money on the backs of car owners and racers who have
made the Monterey Historics what it is today.  He has treated some of them
well, but not all.  Yes, it has been his sandbox and his toybox.  But, maybe
there's a change on the horizon?  I certainly hope so.

Regards,
Myles H. Kitchen
1965 Lotus (never welcome at the Historics) Cortina Mk1 #128

///
///  vintage-race@autox.team.net mailing list
///