Re: Monterey problems

To: Tom M <tcm43@pacbell.net>
Subject: Re: Monterey problems
From: Richard Ruff <rruff4@home.com>
Date: Thu, 20 Sep 2001 01:28:58 -0700
I had a situation a few years ago at the Wine Country Classics.  Steve spent a
lot
of time with me on a very busy day.  I got a very fair trial before he hung me.
have no complaints.
As far as no one else getting a crack at Laguna, it is my understanding that it
is
a sound problem.  There is a very limited number (11?) of days without a 92db
limit.
Richard Ruff

Tom M wrote:

> [...]
> > being treated unfairly, and rudely?).  But, since I've gone public with my
> > distain for the Monterey Historics, I've found MANY other racers who have
> > confided to me their own reasons for disliking Mr. Earle and his event.
> > While it has become the defacto "MECCA" of Historic Racing, there are
> > numerous chinks in the armor, and perhaps it is time for a change.  I, for
> > one, would welcome such a major change at Monterey.  It couldn't have
>happend
> > to a more deserving guy (AND his deserving wife).
>
> It's odd how different folks perceive things differently.  I never
> thought I'd particularly like the Historics since I'm not fond of
> crowds.  But I did try to get into the Historics and was accepted for
> the 1999 event.  Before actually attending, I thought it would be a one
> shot deal, but as it turned out, I really enjoyed it, so I applied again
> last year, was accepted and enjoyed it, as well.  My Elva Courier has a
> not particularly distinguished history as a SCCA racer, so it was a real
> honor to be there amongst some of the actual cars that we see in the old
> footage of legendary events.  Although clearly among the rabble of the
> racing set, I nevertheless felt well-treated and well taken care of at
> these events.  Money wise, if you add up what you actually get, it's a
> bargain, apart from the cost of lodging in Monterey in August.
>
> While I have tried to avoid being a squeaky wheel to the promoters, I
> have nevertheless had questions that I raised over the years.  Both
> Debbie and Steve have been patient and gracious with me--and they had no
> special reason to need to be--so I really don't understand your personal
> irritation with either of them.
>
> > Nothing would be more ironically satisfying to me, than to see someone like
> > CSRG, or some other more democratic organization take over the event.  At
> > least, it might be operated fairly, and the racers treated more equally
> > (13/13, Stirling).
>
> I thought Mr. Moss was required to sit out for a year after his incident
> in 1997, and didn't drive in 2000 following his incident in 1999.
>
> > And, as many of you west coasters know, the accessibility
> > of Laguna Seca (or the Mazda Raceway at Laguna Seca) might be opened up for
> > other vintage organizations's events.  Other than the SCCA event in the
>fall,
> > other groups have not been able to secure desireable dates there, due in
>some
> > degree to Mr. Earle's relationship with track management.  CSRG has tried
>and
> > failed, with the only date available a rain-soaked winter venue.
> <snip>
>
> Do you have any facts to back this up, or are you simply going with your
> feelings on this one?  Vintage racing is not a zero-sum game.  I find it
> hard to believe that Steve Earle is the reason that CSRG doesn't do

///