Re: Definitions: Alphabet Soup

To: pb1@humboldt.edu, vintage-race@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Definitions: Alphabet Soup
From: Craig Wright <cwright@pdghightower.com>
Date: Wed, 07 Nov 2001 13:42:27 -0800
Phil,

Don's advice was good, even though I run VARA. I would add that you select the
group that you wish to run with primarily. I chose VARA because I live in So Cal
and they are more vintage in philosophy than HSR West. Then follow the rules of
that group. If you wish to occasionally participate with a different group, they
will usually let you play play with them during non spectator events. If you are
not meeting all of their rules they won't score you for the annual championship
if they have one. Big deal, your a novice that wants have fun and improve your
driving. That is exactly the kind of participant all of the sanctioning bodies
want. Now if you start to dominate your class as a guest in a different group,
then they will most likely get more serious about enforcing their requirements.

Craig Wright

Phil Buttolph wrote:

> OK, I surrender!  I have tried to work my way through the definitions and
> standards of the various vintage racing organizations. I realize this isn't
> rocket science but filtering through just the SCCA and FIA regulations
> (just to mention two of the many) is confusing.  I would appreciate it if
> someone can point me to a concise (abridged!) source that will delineate
> the relationships between the various organizations that codified the
> standards and a simplified condensed version of applicable
> standards.  Specifically my interest is in the 1962 standards the I may or
> may not (that will fill another volume..) need to conform to run my 1962
> Corvette. Terms like "Vintage,Classic, Historic, Sports, Touring, Grand
> Touring, Special Touring, Improved Tourning, GCR, PCS...etc" abound, anyway
> there are a lot of interesting and some times almost comical regulations
> and standards such as FIA's "Coachwork: means all the external parts of the
> vehicle licked by the air streams..." .  I do play well with others, but
> need to know the rules.  So if there is a source book/document that
> succinctly defines what equipment that is allowed/required for my car
> please e-mail me!  I have nightmares of spend lots of time and $$$ to make
> my car "comply" to be sent home from an event for being "out of
> standards"...thanks in advance.
>
> Phil:::
>
> At 08:30 AM11/7/2001-0800, you wrote:
> >Specs for the GT6 and GT6+ for 1969 are at the SOVREN web site
> >(www.SOVREN.org) under the Rules button, 1969 Production Car Specs sub menu.
>
> ///
> ///  vintage-race@autox.team.net mailing list
> ///  Send admin requests to majordomo@autox.team.net