RE: Question on HSR

To: "Derek" <dereklola@yahoo.com>, <vintage-race@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Question on HSR
From: "Hugh Barber" <tr6nut@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Wed, 12 Mar 2003 22:01:29 -0800
Derek,

You see, I have this thing called a "job".  They really frown on me if I
spend their time screwing around on the internet email lists during the day.
Therefore, I generally have to wait until I get home and the kids are in
bed, etc before I get online to check my email.  Additionally, if you really
read the original post, you would know that I live in CALIFORNIA.  So, if
you live on the east coast, you're probably in bed by the time I read my
mail.  I answered your questions pretty much point-by-point in a previous
email.  Oh, and by the way, I'm not some babe in the woods when it comes to
racing.  I have been going to races since I was 5, crewing and working since
I was 12 (I remember when Paul Newman was running regionals in a B Sedan
Datsun 510 that his wife gave him as a birthday present).  I'm 45 now, so
you can do the math.  I don't have any problem with legitimate re-checking
of safety items.  I raced AMA Superbikes as a privateer in the 80's, stuff
was re-checked (for legitimate reasons) all the time.  But I'm also old
enough to know when a race official is just looking for a reason not to let
me race and is f**king with me.  Like you, I'd love to hear the Comp
Director's side of the story, but I'v never seen him on this list.  You see,
he runs a successful business preparing Porsches to race in HSR (gee, can
anyone say "conflict of interest") and is a somewhat successful semi-pro
driver himself, so he's probably much too busy to deal with us mere mortals.

Hugh Barber
Hollister, California