Re: Question About a the Oldsmoble 61-62 Alumnum Block

To: vintage-race@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Question About a the Oldsmoble 61-62 Alumnum Block
From: GOFASTMG@aol.com
Date: Mon, 24 Mar 2003 11:19:35 EST
In a message dated 3/23/2003 11:52:00 PM Eastern Standard Time,
dmeadow@juno.com writes:

> Yes, it is essentially the same V8 that ended up in a number of British
> cars, including the TR8, the MGB GT V8 (not sold in U.S.), and more
> lately in the Range Rover and the Discovery.  I understand that some
> changes were made to the block over time to strengthen it, particularly
> to accept a larger bore.  I've never heard of any inherent weakness of
> the earlier versions, however.

There was one difference in the Old's version of the  B-O-P 215 that makes it
a bit better for "tweaking".

The Old's  F-85 had an extra head bolt at each bore, as opposed to the
Buick/Pontiac version. Apparently the Olds engineers felt the turbo boost was
enought to warrent the added strength of the additional clamping force of the
6th bolt.
Also the head used a larger intake valve than some of the other units.

And if my history memory serves, it was the Olds version that Sir Jack
Brabham used as the basis of his F1 cars early on.

Rick Morrison
MGB #34