Re: 1275s in Bugeyes

To: <dmeadow@juno.com>, <vintage-race@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: 1275s in Bugeyes
From: Doug Meis <s800racer@earthlink.net>
Date: Thu, 15 May 2003 12:41:01 -0500
on 5/15/03 10:58 AM, dmeadow@juno.com at dmeadow@juno.com wrote:

> I'm told that the SCCA never sanctioned 1275s in Bugeyes, so they are not
> vintage eligible.  Peter Krause made the decision to reject this car and
> apparently a few others.  I can certainly understand his reasoning, and it is
> certainly his prerogative.

    1275cc Bugeyes are not looked upon with favor (& were never recognized
by SCCA) because the "Bugeye" bodystyle was never fitted with a 1275cc
engine.  It is simply a grossly over-sized motor for that car.  Because the
1275cc engine bolts right into a Bugeye, this swap has been done to a lot of
cars.  It's cheap, easy and a big increase in power.  But that don't make it
right.

Imagine Porsche 356's with a 2.4 liter motor or a'57 vette with a 427ci.
Most vintage groups would not allow those engine swaps.  A 1275cc in a
Bugeye is no different - wrong motor for the car.
 --
Doug Meis <s800racer@earthlink.net>