RE: 1275s in Bugeyes

To: <vintage-race@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: 1275s in Bugeyes
From: "Wm. Severin Thompson" <wsthompson@thicko.com>
Date: Thu, 15 May 2003 13:35:50 -0500
Of course, a 1275 Bugeye'd really open a can-o-whupass on a Honda... ;)

I've got to go with Bill's sentiments here. Since I've got 10 Spridgets in
various street and racing trim, I hope that qualifies me as one with a
semi-quasi-nearly intelligent opinion.

I race 948 Sprites. Favor them. I think they make you a better driver. On
occasion when I was "in between" motors, I have run a race or two with a
nearly stock 1275... which might be easier to drive because of torque, still
isn''t as fast as a good race 948.

948's are significantly more expensive to build. Some parts are now
"unobtanium"... like any cast performance piston. Your choices are 998
Copper pistons (with a different crown height) or go to a custom forged
piston.  Good crankshafts are starting to get hard to come buy.

There's no significant structure or weight difference between a Bugeye and a
later model Spridget.

In VSCDA we used to place 1275 Bgeyes in Group 8... but a recent re-org of
classes puts them in Group 2, so all Sprites run together... which is Ok
with me. (We just slap "cheatin' dog" stickers on 'em when they're not
looking...)

2 other 'related" topics...one concerning Sprites, and one in general. Some
organizations take a hard line on fiberglass bonnets on Sprites. I've always
found that funny, since from about day one tuners like Speedwell, etc sold
and raced Sprites with all sorts of different noses and tops. The Works even
went as far as having stock looking Bugeyes at Sebring with nearly all of
the body in fiberglass. So, is SCCA period rules the only thing we go by, or
period FIA or similar cars of the era allowed?

The other thing is, I suspect that the "crunch" (and I mean cash, not
fenders) in vintage racing will be even more pronounced this year, with
attendance dropping even further at some venues. Sure, "old money" will
almost always have it... but the disposable income of the rest of us that
belong to the "great unwashed" is most likely greatly reduced, due to
shrinking portfolios, and corporate layoffs. many race organizers might be
begging for entrants soon enough.

WST
FLounder
Team Thicko