Re: 1275s in Bugeyes

To: s800racer@earthlink.net
Subject: Re: 1275s in Bugeyes
From: dmeadow@juno.com
Date: Thu, 15 May 2003 20:35:53 GMT
I understand your point, Doug, although "the wrong motor for the car" isn't
really the rule.  In fact, you can race (and the SCCA allowed) any square-body
spridget with a 1275, whether it came with one originally or not (early ones
could have 998 or 1098).  The quarter-elliptic rear spring cars were never
originally supplied with the 1275, but the SCCA found them too similar to the
later half-elliptic to bother making a distinction.  Therefore, no one is
contemplating rejecting 1275 quarter-elliptic spridgets, thankfully.

I think the truth of the matter is that it is what was accepted by the SCCA
that counts, whether it follows a certain logic or not.  I've got no argument
with that, necessarily, except that if the owner's home VMC member organization
has decided to accept them, then other VMC members should accept them per their
own "once per year guest" rule (I think they belong in whatever class the 1275
Spridgets go, certainly not with the 948 Bugeyes).  Otherwise someone who
prepares a car in California or Texas or where ever will have to check with
every rule-making organization across the country if he ever hopes to run at
Watkins Glen, for example, once in his life.  Which is exactly the situation I
felt the VMC rule (or guideline, whichever) addressed quite elegantly.

I'll note, however, that in the case in point, that Peter Krause/VIR is
sanctioning this race, not a VMC organization, so he is under no obligation to
adhere to that rule/guideline.

WST asked the question as to whether FIA spec'd cars shouldn't be accepted (for
example a bugeye with fiberglass panels).  My understanding of at least some of
the organizations' rules is that FIA cars are certainly allowed, but they must
follow ALL FIA rules.  In other words, you can't build an SCCA rules car then
put a fiberglass bonnet on it and say that was accepted in FIA.  It is all of
one or the other.  I also understand that the owner carries the obligation of
documenting what the FIA rules were and how his vehicle complies.

David Littlefield.

--- Doug Meis <s800racer@earthlink.net> wrote:

    1275cc Bugeyes are not looked upon with favor (& were never recognized
by SCCA) because the "Bugeye" bodystyle was never fitted with a 1275cc
engine.  It is simply a grossly over-sized motor for that car.  Because the
1275cc engine bolts right into a Bugeye, this swap has been done to a lot of
cars.  It's cheap, easy and a big increase in power.  But that don't make it
right.

Imagine Porsche 356's with a 2.4 liter motor or a'57 vette with a 427ci.
Most vintage groups would not allow those engine swaps.  A 1275cc in a
Bugeye is no different - wrong motor for the car.
 --
Doug Meis <s800racer@earthlink.net>