Re: Replicars vs. Real ... and vs Rebuilds

To: Larry Dent <lwdent@fwi.com>
Subject: Re: Replicars vs. Real ... and vs Rebuilds
From: "Paul M." <rowman22001@yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 1 Sep 2003 05:51:02 -0700 (PDT)
> When it comes to the Elva of Mark's its the real
> thing no matter what
> the restoration, or lack there of, that is done to
> the vehicle.

Yes, this was my point.  If it's restored and raced
and enjoyed, and others who see it can enjoy it too,
it will still be Mark Donohue's car.  In any sense
that matters to me, anyway.  By the same token, if
it's kept in a locked garage, damaged and decaying
away, it will also be Mark Donohue's car, except that
no one will be driving it or viewing it or enjoying
it.

Now if Mark Donohue (of all people!) were around
today, which do you think HE'D prefer?

I'm not slinging stones here.  As I said, I'm a
low-buck vintage race guy, and if I were playing
around with hyper-valuable collector cars with an eye
towards selling them someday, I would probably be
singing a different tune and doing whatever I could to
protect my investment.  But I don't build and restore
and collect and drive special-interest cars for the
money, and I don't buy them with an eye toward selling
them someday at a profit.  I buy them for me, and for
the enjoyment I get out of owning them and driving
them and racing them.  And I guess I just think it's a
bit of a shame that the "investment" nature of some of
these cars ultimately prevents their enjoyment as
motorcars.

Anyway, end of rant...

=====
Paul Misencik