Re: Replicars vs. Real ... and vs Rebuilds

To: vintage-race@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Replicars vs. Real ... and vs Rebuilds
From: "David R. Mapes" <dmapes@erols.com>
Date: Thu, 04 Sep 2003 22:11:59 -0400
Hmmm...  Ahmen.  I love the old Trans Am cars regardless
of the vintage of build.  I like the sentiment, but would
also love to see the "real" cars going Hammer-n-Tongs too.
But that's a job for professionals and bigger budgets than
mine.  A car is EITHER an investment OR a race car.  Not
both.  Hee Hee, As my Mom started saying after Dad bought
a horse farm "Its not the purchase price, its the UPKEEP!"
It MIGHT be a tax shelter under the right circumstances,
but that involves more book keeping than I'm interested
in doing.

At 08:04 PM 9/4/03 +0200, you wrote:
>>>Who is the authority responsible for sorting things out for TransAm
>>>racers?  It would seem obvious:  The sanctioning bodies; no one else
>has
>>>any credibility or motive.
>
>Lets make a comparison to the art world (the money involved is similar
>now) there are fakes hanging on the walls of great museums around the
>world. These pieces of art were 'certified' by the best of the best,
>it's just that the fraudsters were better than the experts.
>I believe that this is and will continue to be the case in our car world
>and it will only really matter to the poor schmuck that lays out the big
>bucks for the 'fake' car. I know I will continue to enjoy watching it go
>sideways and hearing it's engine 'sing'. Lets not forget that this isn't
>the cure for cancer, it is about the love of great machinery and the
>greatest sport ever. I would much rather watch a field of 'period
>correct retro racers' going hammer & tong than a bunch of museum pieces
>being tenderly driven in a controlled parade.
>Of course this is just my opinion.
>
>Bruce J Fernie
>Villa Ercolano, San Savino
>06010, Promano (PG) Italy
All the Best!  Dave  ;^)
'66 Formula S Barracuda, CP/Vinatage (GoldFish)
'66 C code Mustang Coup, CP (Ol'Beastly)
'91 Sundance, HS (150,000 miles and counting)
'97 Cherokee
Lame Horse Racing
College Park, MD
http://www.erols.com/dmapes/