re: Overheating

From: Bob Douglas (b-douglas(at)ti.com)
Date: Mon May 19 1997 - 17:25:45 CDT

> From: William Lewis <wrlewis(at)ucdavis.edu>, on 5/19/97 11:59 AM:
> ............ my poor car is having a
> hard time staying cool. I have thought about adding an oil cooler or
> putting a shroud around the fan to help airflow at low speeds.

A few minutes at a muffler shop last weekend gave me an opportunity to glance
through a brief article on engine cooling in the May issue of Car Craft. It
was done in a Q&A panel discussion format and was especially interesting
because it ran through many of the cooling questions that frequently make the
rounds on this list. It's not something I'd jump through hoops to find, but an
interesting read if you have easy access to a copy and still have questions on
the subject.

One thing they did suggest that I hadn't seen discussed before was a preference
for belt driven clutch fans over electric for high RPM/low speed applications
(towing, etc.). They also mentioned it should have a thermal clutch rather
than just a centrifugal one.

This thermally engaged, belt driven fan was the set up used on the Datsun 1600
roadsters I owned at one time. I ran those through a number of Summers in
Houston stop-and-go traffic with no trace of cooling trouble.

Has anyone ever checked with Flex-lite or other suppliers to see if there is
anything in this vein that would fit the Alpine?

Regards, Bob Douglas '62 S.II