Starting a newly rebuilt engine

From: Jay Laifman (Jay_Laifman(at)countrywide.com)
Date: Tue Apr 06 1999 - 10:20:46 CDT

OK, I found my notes from the mechanic who did my engine, but specializes
in racing Lotus engines:

Timing: Set the timing using the static method to 8 degrees, then adjust
once the car is running using the timing light method. Obviously you have
to be able to set some ball park before start up!

Oil: He suggested 30 or 40 wt Valvoline Racing oil - not hi-po oil. I do
not know if that has detergent.

Start up: remove spark plugs, crank over to 20 psi, put plugs back in.
Start. Set idle at 2500. Drive to normal operating temperature ranging
the rpm between 2500 and 4500/5000 rpm with and without load, but not
lugging. Drive car for 1/2 hour before letting idle below 2500. My notes
do not indicate if that 1/2 hour was from the first drive. It does not
look like it. However, I am pretty sure I was having so much fun that my
first drive was well over 1/2 an hour.

He did say that he runs his engines out of the car for break in on his
dyno. But, the the dyno keeps the coolant flowing, blows healthy air
through the radiator, has an exhaust hooked up. He did not think that
letting a new engine run inside of a car without motion and air flow was a
good idea - maybe he just doesn't realize how bad the air flow is in a
Sunbeam.

He also said stay under 4500/5000 rpm for 500 hours.

Jay