Re: Camshafts

To: Simon Sparrow <Simon.Sparrow@wang.co.nz>
Subject: Re: Camshafts
From: Bradley Temperley <braddles@bigpond.com>
Date: Sun, 07 Feb 1999 00:01:54 +1100
You should also check the state of the timing chain.  If this has stretched your
cam timing will be out.  You'll probably notice economy getting worse around
town before any loss of upper end power.
The original chain was single row with nylon toothed sprocket for quietness.  An
australian Rollmaster double row chain and sprocket set is about A$120 and about
A$95 for a set of standard hydraulic lifters.
I don't have any suggestions about checking the cam in situ but perhaps an
engine builder can 'measure' the cam for you.
I've been told by a friend who has swapped Rover cams that the Rover workshop
manual records the angles differently to the way cam manufacturers do it so the
numbers might seem way out.  Most info I've seen suggests that the stock
standard cam is great when you want to keep low end torque.
#$^)