RE: Camshafts

Subject: RE: Camshafts
From: Simon Sparrow <Simon.Sparrow@wang.co.nz>
Date: Mon, 8 Feb 1999 10:07:11 +1300
Bradley,

Thanks for the reply. I was reading a book on the weekend and it suggested
(as I had decided to try anyway..) using a dial gauge or vernier callipers
to measure the valve lift from the rocker arms with the rocker covers off. I
wouldn't expect to get totally accurate readings from this, but what I'd be
looking for is one valve with less lift than another. From what I've read,
camshafts don't wear out evenly, but tend to go on one or two lobes only. If
all 16 valves have the same amount of lift, it would indicate to me that the
camshaft is OK. Obviously I'll have a better look when it comes time to swap
the cylinder heads over.

The question of timing chain stretch is an interesting one, does anyone know
how this could be looked at without dismantling the engine? Could you tell
if the chain was stretched by moving the crank backwards and forwards to see
if there is any 'delay' in the camshaft moving as well?

Simon