Re: GM 5 or 6 speed Trannies

To: Lauri Atherton <gumby@connectexpress.com>
Subject: Re: GM 5 or 6 speed Trannies
From: Jim Stuart <jimbb88@erols.com>
Date: Sun, 07 Feb 1999 20:58:12 -0500
John-

 As far as I can tell, all T-5's were aluminum cased. There is an
excellent article on them in the V-8 Newsletter, issue IV Vol 1.

  All GM T-5's seem to have the same gear ratios, 1-4, with optional
.63, standart.73 5th gear. The GM versions are Camero/Firebird, a V-6 &
V-8 version; Chevy S-10 pickup.

Some differing info for the first year of the GM version, 1982 or 1983.
The last year seems to be 1992. The beefed up version, referred to as
"World Class" was used by GM 1988-1/2 on. The V-8 version has 26 spline
input, 27 spline output. They are a direct bolt up to the 215
bellhousing, & the S-10 pickup clutch is what I use, 10.5". Don't know
if the larger Camero clutch will fit, but it is doubtfull that you would
need it.

No info on the T-56, except that it will bolt up to the 215 bellhousing,
& it is one big, honkin' tranny. Never fit in an MGB without major
surgery to the tunnel.

Watch out for late model Rover blocks, they have a more crank hanging
out the back & will bind the input shaft without modifing the shaft or
using a spacer.

The Ford version, I am told, is cheaper, they started the World Class in
1986. It will not bolt up to a 215 bell housing without an adapter, &
the shifter is 1-1/2" farther forward. I believe D & D is making an
adapter for the Ford, 810 798 2491.

Most of  this info is lifted from the V-8 Newsletter. Although aimed at
MG conversions, this is a terrific resource for anyone using the
Rover/215 in a project. 2 issues a year for $10.00, contact  Kurt  at
216-331-4205.

Jim