Part number/source help

To: datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: Part number/source help
From: "Patrick J. Horne" <horne@cs.utexas.edu>
Date: Mon, 3 Apr 2000 15:52:01 -0500
I am in the process of redoing a set of Hitachi carbs from my 67.5 1600 and need
to replace some pieces of carb linkage.  I looked at that factory parts manual,
but couldn't make out much.  In the Rallye catalog the parts that I need are
shown on page 83, Fig. E, items 89, 102 and 107. I also find that the 12.5 mm
nylon washers in the pistons are missing (I think).  Are the outside diameters
large enough for the springs to sit on them, or are they smaller and just used
as bumpers when the piston goes all the way down?

Even though the 2 carbs were assembled the same, I wonder if amother part was
correct.  There is a link from the choke linkage to the jet on the bottom of the
carb.  This link was under quite a bit of tension when hooked up to the jet.
When unscrewed the link moved about 1/2" away from the jet due to the spring
in the hoke linkage.  Is there supposed to be that much tension on this link?
It seems that there shouldn't need be that much.

The jet fuel hoses are NLA from the dealer.  I stopped at a parts house to see
what they had to replace them.  I was told that folks have been using vacuum
hose.  I questioned the composition of this hose and was told that it was the
same as fuel line.  The only difference between vacuum and fuel line is that
fuel line has braided reinforcement.  Does that sound correct to you?  I
dont want to put it on, only to have one disolve and dump fuel on a hot
exhaust manual!  (I was once told that heater hose was the same composition as
fuel line and used it on an external oil cooler only to have it blow in a bit
over a day.  Luckily the shop paid to rebuild the engine.)

Thanks,
Pat

--
Pat Horne, Network Manager, Shop Supervisor, Hardware Guru
voice (512)471-9517, fax (512)471-8885, UUCP:cs.utexas.edu!horne