Re: For Sale: $25,000 Roadster

To: CalSpeed@aol.com
Subject: Re: For Sale: $25,000 Roadster
From: Gary McCormick <svgkm@halley.ca.essd.northgrum.com>
Date: Thu, 20 Apr 2000 14:42:50 -0700
Calspeed-

Your story reminds me of an encounter I had with a salesman at the old Downtown
Datsun
dealership in San José about 18 years ago. I was fairly fresh out of college,
working at
my first real job and looking for some cooler wheels than my '70 Datsun truck.
Downtown
Datsun had two real spiffy looking Roadsters in their showroom, a 1600 and a
2000 (I don't
remember which year exactly that either of them were, but they were both high
window
models). I gave both of the cars a good looking over and after about 15 minutes
or so a
salesman wandered over, looking down his nose at this young guy who was looking
at his
cars.

I asked him what they were asking for the cars and was told (as best I can
recall) $6,000
for the 1600 and $10,000 for the 2000. I told him that they were beautiful (at
least
cosmetically), but that as nice as they were, they were neither of them worth
that kind of
money. He told me that they had a buyer for the 2000 working out financing as
we spoke.
"Well", I said, "good luck finding another fool to buy the 1600 for that kind
of money."
and walked out (I was kind of a smart-aleck in my younger days). I never did
find out what
happened with either of those cars. I later test drove a red 2000 that was on
the used car
lot at the VW dealer down the street, but didn't buy my Sora Blue '70 until
October '86.

BTW - I love the part in your story where the guy says he is trying to help the
Datsun
Roadster market... he's just helping his pocketbook to a bigger commission!

Gary McCormick
'70 2000 SRL311-13291 (Sora Blue just like Calspeed's and you better g-d
believe it's an
original color!)
San José, CA