Re: value of a 67.5 2000

To: aavery@rica.net, chalsted@nycap.rr.com, datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: value of a 67.5 2000
From: Davesmbox@aol.com
Date: Thu, 4 Jan 2001 15:08:23 EST
In a message dated 1/4/01 2:36:30 PM Eastern Standard Time, aavery@rica.net
writes:

<<
 False logic--Craig you're completely discounting the value of the labor to
 remove/store/ship all of those parts.  The value of parts on the parts
 market is always way higher than the value of those parts collectively as a
 car.  This is because parts available for sale are stored somewhere (on or
 off a car) and are ready to be sent to a willing buyer.  A parts car can be
 a part resource, but to get the part-market value for each part involves
 lots of time and labor--nearly always the most expensive cost to a business.

 Perhaps you could go into business buying roadster parts cars and parting
 them out, seeing as how all of these cars are discounted below their true
 value.  If you do, you'll find that our parts vendors (and Nissan,
 considering the costs of 30+ years of storage) aren't making all that much
 money for all that they do.

 At 01:39 PM 1/4/01 -0500, C. Halsted wrote:
 >thought I'd put in my own 2 cents on this one. let's consider a parts car.
 >according to Old Cars Price Guide, last I looked, all 2000's were lumped
 >together and they had condition 6 around $375. and condition 5 around $750.
 >think this is a bit off. take a rust bucket 67.5 Solex that needs a
 >rebody....as parts value alone....
 >
 >$1,000   value of used solex setup and comp oil pan
 >$   500   rest of the engine (conservative)
 >$   350   transmission
 >$    >>

I need to agree with both of you. Craig is RIGHT. I think most people could
pick up a 67 solex and part it out for a profit right away.
I bought 2 parts cars in New Hampshire and got what I needed and turned a
"nice profit" on the spares. I say a nice profit but I spent probably 40
hours taking the cars apart, cleaning and boxing parts. Its a hobby so I felt
good and was supporting my own cars. I however build BIG buildings. That 40
hours would have been better spent making a paycheck then buying the parts.
So who is right? Lets just say that if we do chop up one of these gems that
we do it to SUBSIDIZE our passion rather than to try and make a buck. The
difference between a soldier and a mercenary is cause and money. Lets stick
with cause.
MY 2 cents.
DAVE