Re: Should I add a Header?

To: Robert.Long@CSDInc.com
Subject: Re: Should I add a Header?
From: "Patrick J. Horne" <horne@cs.utexas.edu>
Date: Mon, 8 Jan 2001 17:41:47 -0600
I have a 67.5 1600 also, actually, 2 of them.  My first one had a factory
manifold on it, but it really leaked, so I put on a header from Ralley.  It
lasted about 40K miles before it broke.  My second car came with one.  I
don't know how long it has been on.

My understanding is that the factory manifold was quite good and that you
couldn't make much of an improvement by putting on a header.  Manifolds
are also very hard to find and cost big bucks.

I am planning on converting my 1600 to a stroker, so when I bought a new
exhaust system I put in a factory 2L system, so it is ready to go.

If you decide to buy a header have it ceramic coated before you put it on.
This will keep the metal from rusting out as fast.  It also keeps a great
look much longer.  Oh, another thing.  The factory exhaust system that I
bought was painted black when I bought it, but the first time I fired it up
most of it blistered off!  Strip they paint off and put on high temperature
paint while it is out of the car.

Peace,
Pat

--
Pat Horne, Network Manager, Shop Supervisor, Future planner
voice (512)471-9517, fax (512)471-8885