RE: Should I add a Header?

To: "'Alex Avery'" <aavery@rica.net>,
Subject: RE: Should I add a Header?
From: "Ryan, Richard" <RRyan@frk.com>
Date: Mon, 8 Jan 2001 16:08:59 -0800
I have never driven a roadster with a stock manifold.  The race car has a
header and open exhaust.  Its so loud it hurts my ears when I am next to a
wall on the outlet side.

I have had experience with other 4 cylinder cars and for them there isn't
any real difference in the noise level between headers  and the stock
manifolds.

I stand corrected.

Dick Ryan  ex. 24022
(650)312-4022
Risk Management Dept.
SM 2000/2
FAX (650)312-5830

Sorry, but headers are almost always significantly louder than cast exhaust
manifolds.  The thinner wall of the header allows a lot more of the noise
of exhaust blasts (at the head, where the forces are most pointed and
loudest) to transmit--regardless of exhaust pipe, muffler, etc.

Headers are louder than stock manifolds.