Tires

To: "\"ROADSTER (E-mail)\"" <datsun-roadsters@autox.team.net>
Subject: Tires
From: "Patrick P. Castronovo" <slick1@mohaveaz.com>
Date: Mon, 4 Jun 2001 13:20:44 -0700
I was watching TV last night and saw that Firestone was advertising a 2+2
Tire.  This is 2 plies of Fiberglas belts instead of Steel belts.  They were
in the process of making these tires available just before the steel belts
arrived on the scene.  I was fortunate enough to have these Fiberglas tires
on my '65 Buick before they were discontinued for the more popular Steel
Belted tires.  I was on the highway with these tires at a speed of 110 MPH.
and I was amazed that they did not make a sound; and did not shake or thump.
It felt as smooth as riding on a train.  I think Firestone realizes that
Steel Belted Tires are not a safe Tire.  They were introduced by Michilin
and Pirelli and were suitable for small cars.  But seeing the problems with
Steel Belt Tires, that I have experienced for myself, I am going back to the
safer, more reliable Fiberglas Tire.  For those of you that scoff, you don't
know enough about the steel belted tires.  There is no such thing as fixing
a flat with a Steel Belted Tire.  If your Tire goes flat on the highway, the
Steel acts as Knives and cuts the Tire to shreds.  We have many unexplained
Rollovers that occur on our Parkway, that were unheard of before the Steel
Belted Tires.  Pat